Friday, March 01, 2019

Teardrops and hail to the chief Part 2

As my tears dropped yesterday, so it will drop again today for a totally different reason. The chief executive that I reported to will be leaving us. I have worked with him for 3 years to the day. Today I will have worked here for 3 years.

We had a special management meeting chaired by him for the last time. The moment he sat down at the head of the table his tears started to flow. It is difficult for him as well as for us. While I have served for 3 years, he have helmed this organisation for 12 years. He is about to leave his baby.

Quickly he officially informed the management team his new assignment and being his usual self he quickly dispensed his final advice as the chief and his words of wisdom for every unit that reported to him. Soon after the meeting became a teary fest as one by one shared anecdotes about him, wishing him the very best and stating what they will miss the most about him. For me I will miss his comments, his sharp rebuke and most of all his steady hand guiding us and leading us. (Even as I write I am getting moist again.)

I don't think I will ever get a boss like him again. Tears dropped freely that day. Soon the rest of the staff were called in and everyone crowded into the main meeting room to listen to the chief's final words as our chief. Then the management had our last group photo followed by the rest of the staff who wanted a photo with him. We broke up for lunch treated by the chief, great stuff as always. I lingered on as long as possible. Soon we lined up the hall way to send him off with a final clasp of our hands.

Farewell Boss! I envy the organisation that will now get your wisdom and your firm steady hand.

This organisation is now led by a triumvirate.

No comments: