Friday, June 21, 2019

Nostalgia

I read an article recently that said every adult have their inner child in them. This got me thinking that our years as children or as a child is in fact the shortest time we have. The rest of ours is about maturing and growing old. For that we have years and years ahead.

So today I am just going to reminisce my much younger days, what I remember the most. What do I remember the most? My father was in the army so we grew up at the NAAFI. What's the NAAFI? It stands for Navy, Army, Air Force Institutes, a cooperative of sorts set up by the British Army. It's a shop that sells everything foreign. So we look forward to go to the NAAFI. These days in Malaysia they have changed it to PERNAMA but it's just not the same. 

What do I like about the NAAFI? My parents were strict about consuming aerated drinks, soda or cola. So the only time I can drink Cola or Coca Cola in a bottle is when we are at NAAFI. They have this old dispensing machine. I put in 50 sen (Malaysian cents) and out it pops.

It looked something like this. It's all red in colour. This is almost like it except I remembered that the door was more rounded. So it looked all fat and inviting. It dispensed this bottle of goodness. 


Imagine an icy cold goodness, almost encrusted in ice like layer. We then opened the bottle with the bottle opener at the door and drank it out of the bottle like in their ads sometimes even singing the song from the ad.

Of course at that time we either caught the ad on tv that only had 2 Channels or at the movies.

I managed to find one of the original ads on You Tube. That's the song and it was a great song. Fantastic how Coca Cola is still able to   permeate in my memories all this time.

 Well, that's it for today my little memory as a   child. I was probably 5 or 6 at that time. Yes, it   was not good for children to consume such stuff   but it was my little treat. And off course the others   are the Cheese Balls.

 :Lovely stuff.

No comments: